The question came up the other day what is your beauty regiment when you are out in the woods for 4 to 10 days at a time, without the general creature comforts at home? One namely being a shower, the other a mirror. I laugh at one story G2 told me of a class backcountry camping trip, where a girl packed her blow dryer and curling iron, figuring out they were weighing her down, she decided to heave them on the trail half way through the hike. Keeping this in mind I came up with a list of minimalist beauty supplies to take in my ultralight pack, because let’s face it after you hit the age of 30, there are some bare requirements before you leave the house or tent.
- Tinted Moisturizer with UV protection– Since I have fair/sensitive skin I use Aveeno’s Positively Radiant tinted moisturizer that also has UV protection of SPF 30. It evens out your tone & texture and provides protection.
- Eye Cream/Concealer- Wind, Sun and Squinting through Binoculars all day can cause crows feet and fine lines that I’m not ready for yet. I take Oil of Olay’s Total Effects; Line and Dark Circle Minimizing Brush. It’s one step and a slim tube instead of a chunky bottle.
- Dry Shampoo- Having any length of hair gets gross if you can’t wash it for a number of days. To give my head a time out from a ball cap I use Oscar Blandi’s Pronto- Dry Shampoo Spray. It helps revive your hair without water and has a fresh lemon smell.
- Hair Texturing Creme- If you do get a chance to jump in a glacial lake (I got that desperate last time) or have the luxury of a hot shower, chances are there isn’t a lot of choices on styling tools such as flat irons or blowdryers. With a comb and a dollop of Bumble and Bumble Texture, you can style your hair in loose waves or pull it back, braid it and maintain a bit of hold.
- Lip Balm- When hunting you want to minimize scent and protect your lips from becoming burnt and chapped. I love Burt’s Bees Sun Protecting Lip Balm with Passionfruit and SPF.
- Makeup?- Well this is the fork in the road where it’s totally up to you. I see women on the hunting shows and they always look spectacular but it’s just not my style to carry all the supplies when I’m out. Since I have light brows and lashes, I dye them before I go so I can avoid the mascara routine but there are lots of great light weight clear or coloured options.
- Dry or Self-Wetted Face Cleansing Clothes– The wet cloth options are great if water is at a premium and you are in a pinch, I have to go to bed with a clean face so these are a must for me. I like Olay or Dove clothes.